No, I’m not recruiting for my team–though I’m always open to research collaborations. But I wanted to call readers’ attention to at least two places that are hiring folks with expertise in information retrieval.
The first is Panjiva, a startup that I’m advising. You can read more about them here. They are looking for a hands-on developer (yes, someone who can code) with background in information retrieval or data mining. The job is in Cambridge, MA, and they want someone local. Check out their jobs page.
The second is Twitter. Yes, you’ve heard of them. What you might not know if that they’re aggressively hiring in their search group. Apparently the company is growing–I’d thought they were at ~30 people, but I just did a reference call for someone and learned that they’ve doubled in the past few months. I have no stake in Twitter except as a user, but I’d love to see them improve their search capabilities. So, if you’re in or near San Francisco and looking for a search job on the bleeding edge, check it out.
Other folks who are trying to hire people with search / information retrieval background: I encourage you to post opportunities in the comments!
4 replies on “Looking for a IR / Data Mining Job?”
Since Daniel is asking for other job opportunities…
The Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to perform advanced research and development in the area of information retrieval, natural language processing, and text analysis. Successful candidates will have research experience in one or more of the following areas: large-scale information retrieval; human computer interaction for information retrieval; information extraction; machine learning; and statistical learning. Will also have experience with implementing and evaluating novel computational techniques and publishing the results, and should be able to work as part of a team. Candidates will be encouraged to conduct relevant exploratory research and publish results. Will work in multidisciplinary teams in an environment that encourages participation in the academic research community while focusing on problems of interest to LLNL programs. Will report to the Informatics Group Leader within CASC.
– Conduct independent research and development in one or more areas of computer science of interest to CASC, such as: large-scale information retrieval; human computer interaction for information retrieval; information extraction; machine learning; and statistical learning.
– Document research and development progress via technical reports, journal publications and conference presentations.
– Develop software to evaluate novel computational techniques.
– Interact with scientists from LLNL programs to help address their computational needs.
– Identify and pursue complementary research problems.
– Publish papers and attend conferences and workshops.
– Interact with outside collaborators to extend the research and software.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
– Recent Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field.
– Research experience in information retrieval, natural language processing or a related field.
– Demonstrated ability to conduct high quality research and to develop implementations to evaluate the results.
– Experience with statistical techniques and data analysis methods.
– Ability to present information clearly, both verbal and written.
– Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills necessary to work effectively in a team environment.
– Experience working in a dynamic environment.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
– Proficiency in Java and object-oriented methodologies.
Preplacement Medical Examination: None required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicants selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
US Citizenship a requirement
NOTE: This is a one-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhD’s within five years of the month of the degree award at time of employment offer.
Please go to
and apply to
posting # 008304
Keep them coming!
I hear Sematext is looking for people, too – http://www.sematext.com/jobs.html
World-wide, of course!
The Information Retrieval Facility (IRF – http://www.ir-facility.org) is an independent international research institute based in Vienna, Austria. We are dedicated to the promotion and facilitation of research in the field of information retrieval, data mining and machine learning on a (very) large scale with an initial (primary) focus on patent retrieval. The IRF is controlled by a Scientific Board of leading experts in search engine science and technology from all over the world, chaired by Keith van Rijsbergen. For the growing team in our headquarters in Vienna we offer a position as
POST DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW
– advance research on externally funded & internal projects under the direction of the Senior Scientist and the Chief Scientific Officer
– work in close collaboration with the IRF’s academic and industrial partners both from information systems and users of patent search systems
– develop a refereed research publication record
– develop a specialist area of expertise in the line with the IRF’s business plan and develop external funding proposals to support it
– undertake consultancy
– educated to masters level
– qualified to PhD level or about to be so
– record of research publication
– experience of research projects and research funding proposal writing
– strong mathematical or technical skills
– demonstrated knowledge of Information Retrieval, Text Mining, Information Visualization or a related area
– experience of consultancy or potential to develop as a consultant
– fluent English
– strong communication skills
– ability to work effectively with a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, geographically dispersed user community
– nice to have: knowledge of other European or Asian languages, fluent German
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
An interesting position in a new dynamic, international, team-oriented and growing HiTech-Institution, situated in Vienna, the city with the highest standard of living in the world (2009 Mercer survey).
We are looking forward to your application on email@example.com with your Curriculum Vitae, short profile and certificates (please all in one PDF-file). If possible, talk to us at our stand at the SIGIR.
The IRF is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The position is planned as full-time, although a part-time position may be possible.