Daniel Lemire has a great post today entitled “Understanding what makes database indexes work“. There’s nothing that should be surprising for folks who live and breathe this stuff, but it’s a great introduction for those who don’t. Here are his bullet points:
- You expect specific queries: restructure your data!
- You expect specific queries: materialize them!
- You expect specific queries: redundancy is (sometimes) your friend
- Use multiresolution!
- Your data is not random: compress it!
- In any case: optimize your code