My new role at Google (yes, it still feels new after not quite a month!) has given me a professional interest in local search. I’ve adjusted my reading materials accordingly, and I’ve started reading blogs that focus on local. Here are a handful that I’ve discovered so far:
- BIA / Kelsey Blog
- Exploring Local
- Local SEO Guide
- Andrew Shotland‘s blog on local search optimization, small business marketing & search engine optimization strategy.
- David Mihm‘s blog on local search engine optimization and marketing.
- Greg Sterling‘s thoughts on online and offline media. Sterling used to run The Kelsey Group’s Interactive Local Media program.
- SEO Igloo Blog
- By Solas Web Design, which specializes in web design and search engine optimization for small businesses.
- Understanding Google Maps & Local Search
- By Mike Blumenthal, whose company offers consulting services and market research advice relating to maps and local search.
Not surprisingly, these blogs offers me a critical perspective on how Google and other search engines serve the local space. Granted, everyone has their own motives–and it’s hard to avoid some tension in a space with the competitive dynamics of local search. But now that I’m no longer an outsider myself, I appreciate having others to help keep me honest as I work to make local search better for users and businesses.