Over the past five months, this blog has grown from a suggestion Jeff Dalton put in my ear to a community to which I’m proud to belong.
- Over 70 posts to date.
- 94 subscribers, as reported by Google Reader.
- 100 unique visitors on.a typical day.
To be honest, I thought I’d struggle to keep up with posting weekly, and that I’d need to convince my mom to read this blog so that I wouldn’t be speaking to an empty room. The results so far have wildly exceeded the expectations I came in with.
But now that I’ve seen the potential of this blog, I’d like to “take it to the next level,” as the MBA types say.
- Increase the readership. My motive isn’t (only) to inflate my own ego. I’ve seen that this blog succeeds most when it stimulates conversation, and a conversation needs participants.
- Increase participation. Given the quantity and quality of comments on recent posts, it’s clear that readers here contribute the most valuable content. I’d like to step that up a notch by having readers guest-blog and perhaps going as far as to turning The Noisy Channel into a group blog about information seeking that transcends my personal take on the subject. I’ve very open to suggestions here.
- Add some style. Various folks have offered suggestions for improving the blog, such as changing platforms to WordPress, modifying the layout to better use screen real estate, adding more images, etc. I’m the first to admit that I am not a designer, and I’d really appreciate ideas from you all on how to make this site more attractive and usable.
In short, I’m asking you to help me help you make The Noisy Channel a better and noisier place. Please post your comments here or email me if you’d prefer to make suggestions privately.